9:30 - 17:30

Opening Hours Mon. - Fri.

+44 20 3417 3859

Call Us For Consultation


Email Us For Consultation

If you live in social housing or private rented sector and your home is in a state of disrepair, our solicitors at the firm of Adel Jibs & Co Solicitors can help you claim for the necessary repairs within your home to be carried out.

We could also in addition, help you claim compensation for any physical or financial problems you have suffered as a result of the state of disrepair in your home. Your local council, housing association and your landlord have the duty to look after your property and ensuring certain standards are met. If those duties have been neglected, our solicitors can help you claim for the repairs to be carried out. In addition to getting you the repairs you need we can help you claim for compensation for damage to your possessions, illness and injury.

What is a state of disrepair ? 

Disrepair covers a lot of issues, including most structural defects, mould and damp, gas or water leaks, vermin or pest problems, faulty central heating and a lack of hot water. Many of these disrepair issues are linked, so can occur as a result of one another. They can also cause health issues, destroy your possessions and ultimately make your home unfit to live in.

Your landlord is responsible for making sure:

  • The boiler is safe and working properly
  • All structural repairs are carried out in a timely manner
  • The roof and plaster-work are maintained
  • Leaks are repaired swiftly
  • Areas of damp and mould are treated and the cause is dealt with
  • Wet and dry rot are removed
  • Subsidence is dealt with
  • Broken sewers are fixed swiftly
  • Damaged or exposed wiring is replaced
  • Gas and water leaks are quickly handled
  • Defective central heating is repaired or replaced
  • You have sufficient security

If your landlord fails to fulfil any of these responsibilities, we could help you make a claim for them to carry out the necessary repairs. We want you to be comfortable and happy in your home, without having to worry about disrepair creating health issues for you and your family.


If the condition of your home gets a lot worse because your social landlord OR private landlord has not carried out repairs of damage, you may need to take legal action. Note: you should always report issues to your landlord as soon as you notice them, which gives them a chance to carry out repairs quickly. However, if your landlord fails to fix what needs repairing, doesn’t respond to you, ignores the issue, or carries out the repair to a low standard then legal action against them is the appropriate next step.

No one should have to put up with unhealthy and degrading living conditions. Disrepair in a rented property caused by your landlord’s negligence is unacceptable and could be harmful to you and your family.

We understand that it can be intimidating to speak up against a social housing association, maybe because of their size and authority, or because you’re worried about losing money or being evicted. However, asking for safe living conditions is not unreasonable and is important for your health and general wellbeing.

Housing disrepair issues never simply go away. In fact, they often worsen over time, causing more harm as a result.Some examples of health issues which can arise as a result of a poorly maintained home include:

  • Aggravated asthma
  • Pneumonia
  • Upper respiratory tract infections
  • Anxiety and depression
  • Gastrointestinal problems
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning
  • Trips and falls on poorly maintained stairs and carpets
  • Electrocution

You deserve to be happy and healthy in the place that you live, a place you call home and we can make that happen by helping you compel your landlord to carry out repair works at the property. Our disrepair claim may be covered by legal aid if you are able to show that the disrepair to your property is health hazard. Our team will be able to advise you on how to prove that your case.

Tenants may also be eligible for Legal Aid if;

  • The tenant is applying to the court to order the landlord to carry out repairs
  • The tenant is defending court action brought by a landlord for eviction as a result of rent arrears
  • The health and safety of the tenant and/or their family is at serious risk 

At Adel Jibs  we offer expert legal advice on all housing matters, if a disrepair matter has had a negative impact on your health you may be entitled to legal aid.

For expert legal advice on all housing matters including whether or not you are eligible for legal aid, do not hesitate to call Adel Jibs & Co Solicitors in confidence on 02034173859. Our Housing Solicitors are always ready to help you.

Chat to our DelBot liveChat to make an  appointment with a member of the private client team.

WordPress Cookie Plugin by Real Cookie Banner