9:30 - 17:30

Opening Hours Mon. - Fri.

+44 20 3417 3859

Call Us For Consultation


Email Us For Consultation

                              UK Spouse Visa Applications/Extension of Leave applications

A Spouse or partner visa enables a British Citizen and individuals who have indefinite leave to remain in the Unite Kingdom or settled stated to call over their spouse or civil partner to live in the UK with them.  If you are considering making this application, it is important to note that a Spouse or Civil Partner will need a partner visa to live in the United Kingdom long term.

Once the application is submitted and granted the spouses or partners are granted a 30-day visa to enter the UK. Thereafter, the spouse or partner will need to attend a pre-selected Post Office location to collect their BRP (Biometric Residence Permit).

Why Spouse/Partner Visa Important?

It allows the Spouse/Partner to live and work in the UK without seeking permission from the Home Office.

Basic Requirements of a Spouse Visa

To qualify for a Spouse visa:Both partners must be aged 18 years or over

Relationship Requirement

Both partners must have met and be legally married.

The marriage must be legal in the country where the marriage takes place.

The relationship must be genuine and subsisting.

The couple must intend to live together permanently in the UK.

Any previous relationship of either partner must have broken down permanently.

Income/Maintenance Requirement

Unless Exempt, the Spouse/Partner in the UK (or the applicant, if they are in the UK with permission to work, for example as a student or other long-term category) must have a gross annual income of at least £18,600 or have adequate cash savings to support his or her spouse.


The couple must have a place to live in the UK on entry, known as adequate accommodation. This can be owned, rented or be accommodation offered by a family member or friend.

English Language

The applicant must show that they can speak English to the required standard (Level A1) or have a qualifying degree – find out more about the English test on GOV.UK

TB Test

The Spouse or Civil Partner must take a Tuberculosis (TB) test to show they done have TB if they are coming from a listed country. – find out more about the TB test on GOV.UK

Length of the spouse visa

A spouse or Partner Visa is granted for an initial period not exceeding 33 months.

The visa can be extended for 2.5 years (30 months). After the 5 years the spouse/partner can apply for settlement/indefinite leave to remain in the UK, subject to meeting the conditions of settlement/indefinite leave to remain.

Help with a Spouse Visa

Our experienced Immigration Lawyers at Adel Jibs will work to remove the stress of any immigration process, maximising your chances of a successful outcome.

If you planning to visit the UK, reside or extend you stay in the UK, our team are here to help you and your family with a tailored immigration advice service.

Get in touch with our Immigration Solicitors today and learn more about our services, and to take the leap towards your successful application.

WordPress Cookie Plugin by Real Cookie Banner